Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Should a wife and husband go to two different churches?

I have been raised in church my whole life. My fiance however had only gone to church a couple times before he started going with me. I go to a Nazarene church though my fiance wants to go to a catholic mass. He says that we should go to our own churches, me to my own church and him to a Catholic church. Though i feel like parents going to different churches will set a bad example for when we have children. and im afraid it will hurt my spiritual relationship with my soon to be husband.Should a wife and husband go to two different churches?
Have the children then decide at the time which one to go to each weekShould a wife and husband go to two different churches?
It sounds like this might be more of an issue for you than it is for your husband.





I dont think it would set a bad example for your kids at all, but it would teach them that people have a right to their own beliefs and that you and your husband respect each other's beliefs and do not impose your own on each other. Your kids will have a more rounded religious education too and they will end up as more tolerant people towards others and their beliefs.





You'll need to decide first what is absolutely not acceptable for you, where those boundary lines are, before you can figure all this out.





If it turns out that going to different churches and allowing your kids to do the same is NOT something you think you'd be able to live with then you'll need to face that even though it might mean the end of your relationship. But better to find out now than later after marriage and kids have come along, because this would make the household miserable.





Good luck working it all out.
Clearly, life is simpler if you have the same religious philosophy. If you don't, though, and neither of you is interested in converting to the other's religion, then each of you worshiping in the way you believe is right for you is certainly a workable solution. The bad example will occur only when you don't respect each other's religious beliefs.





It's not too different from spouses having different political philosophies. I've been bickering for decades with a spouse whose political beliefs are quite different from mine, and the kids just ignore us and decide their political beliefs on their own. The important word in that revelation is ';decades,'; so clearly having opposing philosophies isn't a deal-breaker as long as you aren't nasty to each other about it.
In some cases, yes.





My husband and I started out attending the same church when we first got married, but it really didn't work. We tried different churches together before finally settling on our current situation: he went back to Calvary Chapel, and I joined the Catholic Church. We prayed about this long and hard, and felt like this was what God wanted for both of us. Our spiritual relationship has gotten better. We take the kids to both churches.





A suggestion: Try attending both your Nazarene church and whatever Catholic parish he wants together for a little while. Most Catholic parishes have mass Saturday nights and Sunday nights, you can make it work. That way, you can both learn about each other's worship preferences, and you might be able to settle on one church together in the long run.





But a two church situation is workable, even with children. Work out how children will be raised later after his church preferences have settled.
So sorry for you dear. All this should have been sorted through before you got married.





Oops - I see you are only engaged. So NOW is the time to work all this out!





A husband is the physical and spiritual head of a Christian household. But your husband is a catholic so that puts you between a rock and a hard place.





Pray for enlightenment.
Do you believe in different Gods? You both believe in the same God. I think religion is a personal thing and you both need to find your own place. Either one being forced into the others choice will probably lead to resentment. Why don't you both compromise and alternate between churches. I know couples where they both go to seperate churches and it doesn't cause problems.
Go to church together. Find one you can both agree with. I've seen several former Catholics at my Lutheran church as it is similar to the Catholic service, but is Protestant and something they and their spouse could agree on.
sure. there's no reason for there to be a problem. actually, i think it would set a GOOD example for your children, because it would promote tolerance and understanding of different beliefs.
I was once engaged to a catholic girl and agreed to change my religion from methodist In the end we broke up because of the differences in our thinking I don't like confessing to minor irritations when all the big ones remain hidden.
I like Micha's answer.





Selah: ';A husband is the physical and spiritual head of a Christian household';


~ Clear evidence that Christianity was created by MEN and not God
Now THAT is the silliest thing i've heard in a long time lol.





If thats the biggest problem your marriage encounters . . . . wow. VERY fortunate.





Go with it.
pshht and you think you hav problems? wait till it gets 2 the money raising ur kids this small worry will become yesterdays news
if it works it works
No.....you better discuss this further with him...before it becomes a problem with your relationship....





Do you plan on having children.....then what ?
I had a friend whose parents did that. It worked out pretty well.
No.


But you both should not go to the wrong church together, either.





I can suggest that you both agree to go to a different church all together.





There is a real chance here for you both. Why not agree to go to counseling in a totally different denomination. This will be far more difficult for him (being Catholic) than you (being Nazarene). Nazarene is far more like other churches than catholic is. If you want him to change (and you should), then you should be willing to change also. It won't be that big of a deal for you- but for him- dramatic. But he will not know the difference.So- you have the advantage here.


If your goal is to worship together (or just get him into a church) then seek out a group of Bible believing churches. I can recommend Baptists, Presbyterian, Church of Christ (not United!!!), Calvary Chapel, Bible Church, and some Independents.


Stay away from Episcopal, United Methodist, Anglican, United Church of Christ, most Charismatics and Pentecostals (some are okay- most are not).


If you both agree to switch- it may solve the problem. (Nothing wrong with Nazarene- but you must be willing to change if you want him to change.
Don't you just love how people really care about the answers they give? (sarcasm)


Although my spouse and I don't go to seperate churches, I do know others who do. And to tell you the truth, they have some hard feelings going on between them at times. (two of them are friends of mine) So, I would say you guys should really get some kind of counseling on this from a pastor who isn't partial to either of you. I'm pretty sure that Catholics don't like to go to other churches, because they believe they go to the only true church. That could cause a problem between the two of you. My son is dating a Catholic girl and we are Baptist. (don't ask!) Anyway, they aren't married or anything, and they aren't engaged (yet) so they really don't have any problems so far. However, if they continue on with their relationship, they will have to do something about that. I am going to advise them to get counseling about it. Anyway, that is what I would suggest. I think if you just ';let this slide'; it will become a bigger problem later on, especially if you are getting married. And it's obvious it already bothers you. I think it would bother me, also. My faith is a very big part of my life. I'll pray for you both. God's blessings on your marriage. I pray that you will work this out, and that your faith will sustain you.
your already a bad parent for wanting to brainwash your kids clean minds with crap
You should both just not go to church at all. Make up your own religion :)

No comments:

Post a Comment