Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My dog is jealous of the attention between me and my husband?

We have a 2 yr old toy poodle. We've had him for almost a yr. He gets lots of attention from all of the family.(husband, me and 4 kids) but whenever I sit on my husbands lap and kiss him or if we are huggin, my dog will jump up onto the back of the couch to get on us and shove in between our faces and start licking us. Why does he do this? We give him plenty of his own attention.My dog is jealous of the attention between me and my husband?
dogs are pack animals and you're excluding him. We had to deal with this with a few pets. You have to teach him proper response,


like any other inappropriate behavior.My dog is jealous of the attention between me and my husband?
Dogs do not display human emotions. They do not get jealous or angry or display other emotions that are restricted to humans. What your dog is doing is displaying territorial behavior. The dog is claiming both of you as its territory. This is not good as you do not belong to the dog it belongs to you. What has happened here is that you have not established alpha over the dog. You say it jumps up on the back of the couch. This indicates that the dog owns the couch and not you. There are many ways to establish alpha and the easiest way to learn it to enroll yourself and the dog is a good obedience class. Establishing alpha over the dog will give it confidence, and it will understand without a doubt its place in your family pack. This will make your dog a much better pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment